I planted a milkweed last year for the first time. I wanted to see if it would survive in our Zone 3. It was disappointing in the spring because there was no plant. Well it surprised me and survived. We do not have monarch butterflies here, but we do have butterflies and they are beautiful as well and they do like my milkweed. I am going to plant more this fall.
I signed the Monarch Manifesto below for the monarch butterflies
My pledge for monarch butterflies.
I commit to:
- GROW milkweed and other native wildflowers in my yard and/or on my balcony
- REPORT monarch butterfly sightings in my community using #monarchwatch
- AVOID using pesticides or herbicides in my yard or garden
- CONTACT at least one school, faith group, business or other institution in my neighbourhood about planting a butterfly garden
- CALL local garden centres and nurseries to ask them to order native milkweed plants for next spring